Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Nice try but not quite! CMs at it again!



You heard me correctly! The Counter-missionaries are at it again with their attempts to discredit me. To my credit I think I handled this situation pretty well considering the bad names I was called. Below I am going to post links to the websites and add a summary of the comments made. If there is a dispute with my characterization of the events please feel free to make your case in the comments. My moderation is very light unless you are simply spamming.

The matter started off long before this ever came to light but I am going to give a little background on the current situation. A while ago I posted on a forum called Isaiah53.com. Now, to my credit, I did not know that this site is actually run by a messianic organization called “Chosen people ministries.” I simply thought this was a discussion and debate forum where ideas and points of view could be debated. I found out later that it was run by them. I want to make it clear that I do not support their actions and have thus ended my posting there after my response to Moshe Shulman (discussed later). I posted a post in response to some accusations from CMs that the word לָמוֹ in Hebrew only means “to them” and that Isaiah 44:15 reads plural. This claim by CMs also relates to the usage in Isaiah 53:8 and how their view is that לָמוֹ should be read as plural in this verse. I actually agreed that in Isaiah 53:8 it should be read as a plural reference to a compound entity called “Israel!” My problem was Isaiah 44:15 and what it reads.

In my post I noted that the Radak and the Aramaic Targum Yonatan both saw an issue with the plural view for different reasons. Radak’s problem was a conflict between a grammatical reading and the interpretation which he illustrated and solved in favor of the interpretation of פֶסֶל being plural. Radak did note here that grammatically the word לָמוֹ is functioning as the word לו which only made his problem complicated and thus would serve a reference to a possible singular usage of לָמוֹ. The Targum on the other hand goes directly for the third person singular suffix in its use of מִנֵהּ “from it.” I took great care to say that despite this possibility, and my personal opinion, that I maintain the interpretation of the Rabbis. This wouldn’t be good enough for CMs and we will find out why.

Enter Moshe Shulman:

Moshe Shulman is a very popular counter-missionary and has a website called www.judaismsanswer.com. He is sometimes called Rabbi Moshe Shulman or Reb Moshe Shulman, depending on who you are talking to and where you are. He uses the Forum and paltalk nickname of “RebMoshe.” His learning and knowledge is vast and in quite a few ways would exceed my own in the realm of Rabbinic writings. I concede that he has a much more Jewish based learning than I do since he more than likely grew up in the Bobover Chassidic dynasty. To be very clear, Moshe Shulman is not a “Rabbi” as we would think about it. The Bobovers do not simply ordain Rabbis as the Lubavitchers, Breslovers or as other streams of Orthodoxy does. So he is in essence a very learned lay person! I grew up in a very secular household to a gentile Father and a Jewish mother. I became a BT at age 21 and resolved to make up for many of the things I should have learned as a child. I started going to an Orthodox Shul and learned as much as I could from the Rabbi. I resolved to learn Hebrew and be able to do it as well as possible. So I went the College and earned a degree in Hebrew. I was proud of myself and am still pursuing this at the university level to attain a Masters and then Doctorate in NELC. I can read Hebrew now as I should be able to at this age growing up with Hebrew in the household. I am by no means a native speaker but I can carry on a decent conversation minus all of the street slang that comes up every day in Israel and my American accent. I can read and understand Aramaic in its various points in time. Enough about the backgrounds lets dig into what happened!

Some time after I posted a post on Isaiah53.com,[1] I received an email from Moshe Shulman calling me and one other person an Apikoros in his opinion. He only knows me and this other person by our paltalk nicknames but, the accusations start flying. Moshe Shulman is known to be pompass and arrogant at times setting himself at the top of the pedestal of piety while, unless you are a CM, everyone else is lower than he is. He sent me an entire email laying out his feelings and opinions as if they were some sort of fact. Accusing me of Chillul HaShem and being apikoros because I “insulted Rashi and the Sages” by disagreeing with Counter missionaries without citing anything within Jewish law that I would have broken that would indicate that I am as he stated. I am assuming he has never read Hilchot Teshuvah 3:6-8 in the Mishneh Torah or hasn’t recently. It outlines what an Apikoros is in detail while summarizing the Talmudic references in Bavli tractate Sanhedrin. In a private message in Paltalk I made sure to thank him for his kind words and tell him I thought it was cute that he would equate disagreement with a CM with insulting the Sages. Yes, it was all sarcasm but this person needed and deserved it!

In the discussion forums at Isaiah53.com, Moshe Shulman goes on the attack quickly by attacking me as a person and any credibility that I may have. That is usually a last resort for those who know that they are going to have a hard time winning the argument. He then offers his own translation of the Radak and criticizes me for improperly translating the comments and misunderstanding. Sorry Moshe, but the bottom line is that I had to point out what your translation is lacking, why you didn’t translate some things at all and what the Radak’s point actually was. I didn’t misunderstand or mistranslate anything and as of 1/24/2014 there has been no response. It took me two days to get to his post as busy as I am, but this looks like it will end here for the time being. It has been 4 days and counting!

That isn’t everything! There is more and you are going to enjoy this one. I have my own thread at messiah truth discussion forums![2] These are the forums where CM bigwigs like Uri Yosef, Sophiee1, and Moshe Shulman frequent to share ideas and ask questions for answers. In this thread I am played out as being misguided, as “Sides with missionaries,” and an Idiot. The one thing I like about this is that it abruptly ended with a request from a poster ProfBenTziyyon (Professor Mordechai Ben Tziyyon) to look at what I wrote. The good professor ends by saying “I’ll take a look at this idiot’s “other Jewish interpretation of the word lamo in Isaiah 53”[3] when I wake up, too tired now.” Guess what, the crickets are still chirping and the good professor has not even tried. I guess he has been too tired to respond also. 

The moral of this sad story is the Moshe Shulman’s opinion means exactly squat. What matters is what Jewish law says and what I am definitely not and that is an Apikoros! I feel that I have ranted enough on this matter and will leave it to you to decide.